Sunday, September 21, 2008

Planes, Trains and Automobiles

The flight to Labasa was both breathtaking and extremely frightening. The tiny plane shook violently as we took off, and there's something extremely eerie about looking down and being able to see the wheel of the plane right under you when you're in the air (E, I couldn't stop thinking about your story where Adam had to hold the door of the plane shut as you flew...it seemed so hard to fathom when we talked about it in the States, but now I can see just how possible a situation like that can be!)



























Once in Labasa, I found myself in the middle of a slightly illegal Fijian business transaction without even fully understanding what happened until afterward. I had fully intended on staying in Labasa that night and booking a bus ride to Savusavu the following morning; however, my taxi driver had other plans...when I got into the car, he immediately asked me if I was headed to Savusavu...because if I was, the bus that was sitting in front of the airport was headed there that very same night. It was $15 he told me, which was more expensive than what I was expecting to pay at the bus station in town, but I had had mixed feelings about staying in Labasa from the start and wasn't completely bummed about jumping right onto a bus and skipping the town all together. Great! I told him, ready to make the transfer from the taxi to the bus, and just like that he started to drive off...ummm, now I can't say that I was scared when this happened, but I was definitely nervous and confused, and when I quickly asked for an explanation, he replied that we would be meeting up with the bus further down the road. Why? It's illegal he told me, so I couldn't board at the airport (ummmm, sh*t! what in the heck had I gotten myself into? Jenny, it was totally one of those What were you thinking!?!?! moments...and in the midst of all of it, I had to laugh out loud, wishing terribly that you were there with me!).
As he continued to drive, I still couldn't understand what the heck was going on, and with a little bit of a language barrier, the message just wasn't coming in clear. All I got from it was that he had an arrangement with the bus driver wink wink (Oh God). We finally pulled over to the side of the road and when the bus drove by, my driver flagged it down. Now, in most cases after all that had just ocurred in the past ten minutes, I probably wouldn't have taken my bags and boarded the bus...but I realized that an Australian family with two small children were on what now appeared to be more like a shuttle than a bus...and $15 Fijian dollars was well worth arriving in Savusavu as soon as possible at this point. Are you headed to Savusavu? I directed at the mother as I handed $15 to the driver, who was obviously trying to hide the whole situation even though the Aussies were seated one seat away. (I have to note here that I also handed the taxi driver $10. He totally ripped me off on that one, but I was so anxious trying to figure the whole thing out that I decided just to go with it...and he looked like he needed it more than I did anyway). The mother nodded yes to heading to Savusavu with a somewhat puzzled (and was that an unfriendly?) look. And so that was that. The bus started down the road again and I sat down. hmmm....
Not at all satisfied with what had just gone down, and still completely confused as to why this was deemed an "illegal" operation by my taxi driver, I turned to the mother again and probed further...

Turns out, the family had booked a holiday trip to a resort close to the town of Savusavu, and because the Savusavu airport was closed, the hotel had sent a courtesy shuttle to pick them up and bring them to the resort....oops! it finally clicked...and just like that, I was sitting in an air-conditioned, cushioned, resort shuttle, non-stop to Savusavu :)
When I arrived in Savusavu, I found a hostel right across the street from the Copra Shed Marina, where Ocealys was expected to moor any day now. I shared a room with a wonderful French and Italian couple, Emma and Filippo. At breakfast the next morning Emma and Filippo started talking to a Belgian couple at the next table over. They quickly found out that this couple, Cendrine and Ben, had fallen in love with the country and the people when they came to Fiji on their honeymoon the year before, and so when they returned home, they packed up everything and bought an immense amount of land just west of Savusavu (about 1 1/2 hours by bus) in a town called Tuvurara. Because there is not too much to do in Savusavu, and because there was even less to do that day (it was Sunday and the town shuts down so everyone can attend church), they invited us back to their house for dinner and to stay the night. What an INCREDIBLE time we had. We explored the area, cut open fresh coconut, took a ride in their boat down the river, checked out a copra (dried coconut used for cononut oil) shed and watched them feed their chickens and pick fresh eggplant, carrots, tomatoes, celery and herbs from their garden.

When the boys trekked down the road to purchase Kava from the neighbor, us girls sat around drinking tea and hot cocoa and chatted about traveling, politics, and of course, our boys :) ...which was wonderful knowing that I might not get to have those sort of chats in a long while! :) Once the boys returned, Cendrine made an incredible dinner of Dahl and Naan, and we continued to chat and pass around the coconut shell with Kava that Ben had concocted out of the pressed root they came back with (one clap before drinking BULA! three claps when you finish). The conversation switched between English and French, they were so good about speaking English to each other so that I could understand, even though I can only imagine how tiring that got since there was technically a 4:1 ratio of French to English (only) speakers.

Note to self...learn French!
A storm came that night...and as I watched the palm trees from the window swaying frantically outside, all I could think was BLOW wind BLOW! haha and blow it did! Because I just received an email from Austin saying that after two days of slow and uneventful motoring, they encountered intense winds and are now anchored off the next island over Taveuni, expecting to sail into Savusavu tomorrow!!

To catch the bus the next morning, Ben took us by boat down the river and then we walked a ways down the road. The surrounding area was absolutely breathtaking...miles and miles lush greenery and palm trees stretched out before us, the mountains lingering in the background.














And then, before we knew it, we found ourselves sprinting with our 100 pound :P backpacks when Ben spotted the bus rounding the hill toward us. Sweating and wet from the rain, we boarded the bus as pure entertainment to the locals I'm sure, and received many smiles amongst laughter and greetings Bula!


















All in all I've had a very eventful and fun time since I left Nadi, and I finally get to see Austin tomorrow! Cendrine is halfway through her first pregnancy, so they are now moving to Christchurch, New Zealand in just a week! We exchanged information and I really look forward to catching up with them again in a whole other climate and atmosphere.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

That's hilarious. I have a very similar story about illegal taxi adventures and miscommunications from my trip to Fiji. Long time no talk - I see that a lot has changed since we last caught up!! I'm very jealous of your amazing adventure and can't wait to hear more about your not-so-new but awesome boyfriend.

Unknown said...

Hey Stranger! Glad to hear your trip is already full of surprises! Keep up with the posts. I can't wait to read the next installment. =)

Lindsay Murphy said...

Ummm the taxi story...so crazy! How have you already had so many adventures?? You haven't even been there a week yet! I love hearing all about it. Make sure you take pictures of you too! Can't wait to see the pics of you with Austin!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi, it really WAS fun meeting you, we hope we'll see each other in Christchurch then. See you

Anonymous said...

Of course you've already met millions of awesome people, explored, and taken an illegal taxi ride! I'm enjoying all the stories! Please do keep it exciting for me - I'm going to be living vicarously through your adventures until I get to have some of my own!!!

Allie said...

You are living a dream life. Look at you with your crazy taxi stories and meeting meeting so many new friends. I love getting to live vicariously through your experiences. Can't wait to hear more.

Lindsay Murphy said...

I hope you are having an amazing time! Haven't heard from you in awhile. Hopefully you connected with Austin and are sailing the ocean...love you, miss you!

Good said...

Hi, how can we get to see the photos on the right side of your post on Tuvurara? We are thinking of going there. Would you recommend it?